nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:38:58 -0800

The other PI assignment policies that have been proposed either
require that you have a /19 already in IPv4 (lots of hosting
companies don't have anything this size), or have tens/hundreds of
thousands of devices.

It has also been suggested that the simple presence of
multihoming should be sufficient justification for PI space.

Current PI policy in the ARIN region is /22 for IPv4.

Even if a hosting company does get a /32 or a /44 or whatever, the
"you can't deaggregate your assignment at all" policy rules out
having multiple independent POPs unless you somehow arrange to get
multiple allocations(which isn't possible now).

People have done creative things with tunnels in the past.
The widespread existence of MPLS backbones makes that
even easier. You will always be able to find one situation
that simply will not fit a given policy. Regardless, we still
need to have some reasonable policy that creates a level
playing field, does not unecessarily restrain trade, and
creates possibilities that smart entrepreneurs can exploit
to expand the network.

Another option is to create separate ORGs for each colo and get
an allocation for each ORG.

Owen