nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network graphics tools

From: John Kinsella <jlk () thrashyour com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:44:42 -0800

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:17:44PM -0500, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
Much of the enterprise market seems wedded to Visio as their network
graphics tool, which locks them into Windows. Personally, I hate both
little pictures of equipment and Cisco hockey-puck icons; I much
prefer things like rectangles saying "7507 STL-1" or "M160 NYC-3".

Not sure how preferring things like rectangles stops you from using Visio,
but *shrug*

Assuming you use *NIX platforms (including BSD under Mac OS X), what
are your preferred tools for network drawings, both for internal and
external use?  I'd hate to be driven to Windows only because I need
Visio.

If you're doing diagrams for internal use and know the chances of them
being used with external parties is slim-to-none, go ahead, play with
toys like dia.  Omnigraffle looks hopeful, but haven't personally used.

On the other hand, if you are doing professional business communications
I'd seriously condsider getting vmware and Visio.  I might be a little
backward to many here, as I work for a consulting company and 95% of what
we do is client-facing.  Maybe, more accurately, if you never expect
anybody other than you to edit your work, Visio's not a necessity.
PDFs are almost 100% acceptable, with a few losers left who won't
install a reader.

Not trying to start a Visio religious war, just saying there's a reason
enterprises use it.

Random thought - think Visio's capabilities are about as underused as
Excel's...

John