nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who wants to be in charge of the Internet today?

From: Steven Champeon <schampeo () hesketh com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:39:06 -0400

on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 11:23:44AM -0700, ennova2005-nanog () yahoo com wrote:
The users have an expectation that their "access to the Internet"
works like a utility. When you say the "power is shut off" you don't
expect to expand on whether the power grid in your state had a
cascading failure but people on the other coast still have power and
when your "water supply is shut off" does not mean that all the people
in the world can't get a drop.

It just means that her "Internet is off" and as far as she is
concerned the whole Internet/Power/Water supply might as well be "off"

Yep.

I eventually just trained myself into hearing "my Internet access" when
I heard "the Internet" from someone who doesn't know what the Internet
is.

e.g.,

 s/Is the Internet down?/Is my Internet access down?/

YMMV,
Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/