nanog mailing list archives

Re: key change for TCP-MD5

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:59:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ross Callon <rcallon () juniper net> wrote:

Another potential attack is an attempt to insert
information
into a BGP session, such as to introduce bogus
routes, or
to even become a "man in the middle" of a BGP
session. One
issue that worries me about this is that if this
allows routing to
be compromised, then I can figure out how to make
money off
of this (and if I can think of it, someone even
nastier will probably
also think of this). Of course this would be much
more difficult to
pull off, and might require viewing packets between
routers to pull
off, but if pulled off and not quickly detected
could be unfortunate.

But it's safe to say that it would be a lot easier to
crack a router itself than to unobtrusively insert
useful false information, or if the ISP's routers are
sufficiently hardened, it would be easier to crack a
customer (or peer)'s router, and use that for the
injection.

The same mechanisa which can detect bogus prefixes
from a peer/customer can detect them from a hijacked
session.  The cost/benefit ratio is better for
securing the routers themselves.

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: