nanog mailing list archives

Re: Deaggregation Disease

From: Saku Ytti <saku+nanog () ytti fi>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:01:00 +0300

On (2006-07-21 11:38 -0400), Joe Abley wrote:

That seems to me like another perfectly valid approach, and one that
already exists to some extent (e.g. by pre-poisoning AS_PATH
attributes with AS numbers of remote networks that you don't want to
accept particular routes). I'm told that IDRP has inclusion and
exclusion lists which provide more exhaustive implementation of this
kind of idea, too.

Oh, cool idea, indeed 'as exclude' mechanism is there, but I'm sure I'd be
frowned upon advertising such routes today. 'as include' otoh. is not there.

However, for some applications those mechanisms rely on knowing the
topology one or more AS hops away from your network; AS_PATHLIMIT
doesn't. To my eye the two approaches seem complementary.

Absolutely complementary. The 'original' problem I was thinking, really
needed both, as point was to find how 'deep' in Internet your
DoS sources are, then as you've indentified the depth, you have
smaller subset of AS#'s that you could iterate with include/exclude
to pinpoint source of certain traffic, even if they were spoofing.
But that idea has several problems that might make it unfeasible,
nevertheless the traffic engineering applications remain.

[To be clear, incidentally, Tomy, Rex and I made no claim to be the
original authors of the idea we were documenting in this draft:

ACK, I did notice that, I'm sure most people have thought about it at one
point or another in their networking career :).

I hope it'll be implemented. Thanks,
--
  ++ytti