nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best practices inquiry: tracking SSH host keys

From: Shumon Huque <shuque () isc upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 14:39:50 -0400

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:18:35AM -0400, David Nolan wrote:
--On Thursday, July 06, 2006 18:22:48 -0700 Jeremy Chadwick
<nanog () jdc parodius com> wrote:

Speaking purely from a system administration point of view, Kerberos
is also a nightmare.  Not only does the single-point-of-failure
induce red flags in most SAs I know (myself included),

If a deployed kerberos environment has a single point of failure then its
been deployed poorly.  Kerberos has replication mechanisms to provide
redundancy.  The only think you can't replicate in K5 is the actual master,
meaning that if the master is down you can't change passwords, create
users, etc.  While thats a single point of failure its not typically a
real-time critical one.

Furthermore, it isn't impossible to design a multi-master Kerberos
service. I can think of a number of designs, but it would have to
be done carefully. I've heard people talking about this in the
past, but I haven't yet seen any implementations.

--Shumon.