nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP route flap damping

From: Kim Onnel <karim.adel () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:58:19 +0200

Do this, configure and use blackhole routing with your upstream, this is how
you stop an attack

How to detect it, use netflow.

On 1/16/06, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

On Jan 16, 2006, at 8:48 AM, Gustavo Rodrigues Ramos wrote:

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

Not much you can do about this in general.  In your specific case,
since we don't know why your sessions died, we don't know what to
suggest to stop it.  Perhaps change the timers with your upstream?

My BGP connections (and annoucements) with/to my ISPs are all fine.

The problem takes place five or six AS far from me... Where I can't do
much. I still can't reach some prefixes announced by large ISPs.

At the first time, I thought an e-mail to the NOC of the network I
can't
reach can solve the problem, but it was a waste of time...

I'm a little confused.

Are you saying you dampened the prefixes of some other network?  If
so, it sounds like this is 100% in your control.

If the BGP sessions between you and your upstreams / peers never
flapped, no one should have dampened you.  (I can see it possibly
happening if someone else in the path between you and $OtherNetwork
is attacked and therefore flaps your routes, but that would affect a
lot of networks, not just you.)

--
TTFN,
patrick