nanog mailing list archives

Re: FYI - China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains

From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () renesys com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:33:37 -0500

At 06:54 PM 2/28/2006, Gadi Evron wrote:

william(at)elan.net wrote:

----
> From: Michael Geist <mgeist () pobox com>
> Date: February 28, 2006 9:24:09 AM EST
> To: dave () farber net
> Subject: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains
>
> Dave,
>
> China is preparing to launch what appears to be an alternate root.

China is creating an alternate root, which it can control while using the Chinese language.

I doubt I need to tell any of you about ICANN, VeriSign, Internet Governance, alternate roots or the history of these issues.
Everyone else will.

It may not be so clear cut. Check out Mark Jeftovic, a trusted source
on DNS information, and a director of CIRA:

http://blog.easydns.org/archives/60-China-Top-Level-Domain-news-possibly-not-news..html

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574