nanog mailing list archives

Re: Modelling a large ISP network with C-BGP

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:41:26 -0800 (PST)

Cc: nanog () nanog org
From: Christian Kuhtz <kuhtzch () corp earthlink net>
Subject: Re: Modelling a large ISP network with C-BGP
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:19:50 -0500
To: Gregory Hicks <ghicks>

From: Christian Kuhtz <kuhtzch () corp earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:38:57 -0500

On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Alain Hebert wrote:

I fail to see a usage for smaller ISP that are using BGP only
for peering and OSPF internaly.

Why would you need to sim this at small scale?

How about for a net that has 540+ networks?  It would be
interesting to see what happens if you perturb this BEFORE you do
the perturbation...

*sigh*

You just made me speechless.  All I can come with is "Well, DUH!"

Christian:

Honestly, I didn't *mean* to make you speechless!  It just happened...

What I *meant* to write was

... 540+ SUBnets.  We have several /16 addresses and some 35K hosts right now - but
still growing...  All this is hiding behind one AS...  (used to be three ASes)

*sigh*

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin