nanog mailing list archives

Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:10:54 +0100

* Chris L. Morrow:

| 6. Transition
|
|    The scheme described in this document allows a gradual transition
|    from 2-octet AS numbers to 4-octet AS numbers. One can upgrade one
|    Autonomous System or one BGP speaker at a time.

Routers on stub ASs don't need upgrading at all, for instance.

but filter lists and such I imagine might :(

Only if you want to keep your fine-grained filters, which shouldn't be
a problem over the next few years.  From a purely BGP 4 perspective,
the transition looks like a new tier 1 ISP entering the stage.

(But if more than one of your peers switch, you better upgrade as
well.)