nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Laptop Polices

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 02:48:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

Do modern laptops have disk drives that are that hard to remove?

one screw and 'pop' out comes all dell laptop harddrives... or boot from
cd, usb->copy all data, slide back into case and move on to next.

you have 2 hours between baggage arrival and load-plane time so you do the
math! :)

I guess I mis-understood his intent. [1]

not sure of his intent, but I know mine :) boot off cd, copy your HD, walk
away... I just know there is some juicy goo on Joe's laptop, he works for
OSIS! (I kid, of course)

In any case, it occurred to me that in today's throw-away commodity
computer world, why don't we return to those thrilling days of
yesteryear where we expected the destination to have all the stuff we
needed, pretty much?  All the files on a central server (where, like the

you haven't had that discussion with an exec have you? I'd love to, my
laptops are, for all intents and purposes a ssh terminal... apparently
people need 'VPN access' and 'powerpoint' (is that what it's called??) and
what-not. I don't get it, but then again, I'm just a chemical engineer.

old central file room they will be safer) accessed from appliances
installed everywhere like lights and telephones.  Maybe give them a
catchy name like "minitel" or something.

are you in marketting? :)