nanog mailing list archives

Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

From: "Arjan Hulsebos" <arjan.hulsebos () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:38:10 +0200

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 20:16:44 +0300, Petri Helenius wrote:
Arjan Hulsebos wrote:

The ones who've been mugged don't start mugging other people, infected
PCs will infect other PCs. That's the difference, and that's why an
ISP should do something about that. Although it may be out of fashion,
I'd like to see good netizenship.
SPAM as other types of abuse is easiest to control closest to the
source, which in most cases means the consumer ISP providing the local
access for the user.

Exactly. We, the ISPs, are the friendly (or maybe not-so-friendly at
times) neighborhood police officer. It's our network, we set the
rules, and we enforce them.

Gr,

Arjan H