nanog mailing list archives

Re: Turkey has switched Root-Servers

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:47:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 07:39:29PM -0700,
 Tony Li <tony.li () tony li> wrote
 a message of 20 lines which said:

Actually, I think you've got it backwards. .us and all of the other
country-specific TLDs are the last vestiges of nationalism.

The problem is that all gTLD are controlled only in the US (even more
than the root is). So, they are international only in name.

which part is controlled? the introduction of new TLD or the running of
the TLD services? I may be mistaken, again the slow reading is biting me,
but PIR and Melbourne-IT partnered to run .org, yes? (then passed the
operations on to Afilas and from there to ultradns?)