nanog mailing list archives

Re: 209.68.1.140 (209.68.1.0 /24) blocked by bellsouth.net for SMTP

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:18:03 +0100

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:

Also just one hacked webform usually results in the same problem (we
have thousands of web hosting customers).  It's in our projects list to
find 'some way' to rate limit individual senders but it's not a high
priority right now.

I implemented rate limiting for Exim to address this problem. The feature
is available in version 4.52 and later.
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/ChangeLogs/NewStuff-4.52

We have a few thousand users who forward email off-site, and it gets the
same anti-spam filtering as locally-delivered email. This seems to be
sufficient to avoid trouble with AOL etc.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR