nanog mailing list archives

Re: What happened to root-server serial number?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:35:00 +0000

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:07:54AM -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
 why do you care?

because root server status is one measure of internet
infrastructure status and stability.

        yes it is...  and having hundreds/thousands of
        folks checking has its own set of issues.
        I note that Peter was kind enough to show that
        all the root servers he was able to reach - AGREED -
        on the serial number they were using.

why do you want to imply that caring that a root
server does not respond is inappropriate?

        does not respond from where?  after all,
        one does not have to reach -all- the root servers.
        Getting to one is sufficent.

        that said, Peter has his own "root-servers" and so
        my question to him was why he should care about other
        folks root servers.

randy