nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google seeks GoogleNet bids?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:54:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

It may have something to do with the possibility that
GoogleNet will need an infrastructure to tie together
it's WiFi offering:

Or... perhaps they just don't want to pay transit prices, and they think
darkfiber and all its accutriments will be less than transit prices (which
I don't want to debate, I'll take it on faith it is), for all their
'internal' communications? There are probably a dozen reasons, ending
with: "Vint wants a new network to play with" ... It's their money, let
them put it back into the economy? :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/20/AR2005092000348.html

- ferg

-- Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:

I'm kind of surprised that I hadn't seem mention of it
here before now, but Om Malik points out in his blog that
Google is reviewing bids for it's natioal DWDM network:

 http://gigaom.com/2005/09/19/google-asks-for-googlenet-bids/

There seems to be a trend whereby anyone who can aggregate
sufficient traffic to warrant their own IP network is doing
so and offloading the so-called public Internet. In the case
of Google it is reminiscent of the way the television networks
aggregated broadcast content way back in the 60's.

Ten years ago, the idea that there could be a public Internet
which anyone could use for any purpose was rather new. Is this
concept now on the decline?

--Michael Dillon

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net