nanog mailing list archives

Re: CAT5 surge/lightning strike protection recommendations?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:44:16 -0400

In message <87ll1zn81b.fsf () valhalla seastrom com>, "Robert E.Seastrom" writes:

Todd Vierling <tv () duh org> writes:

Seriously, though, that's exactly what you're describing, and about what I'd
suggest in a no-other-option scenario -- but if it's possible to pull fiber
through the conduits, it would probably be far less expensive long term, or
even medium term if the physical fiber spools can be bought cheaply enough.

For those who haven't priced the stuff lately, in spools of 1000' the
per-foot prices of 2-strand MM tight buffered fiber suitable for
pulling in conduits like he (hopefully) has tends to be
price-competitive with cat5 on a per-foot basis.  Extra strands are
cheap; the pricey part of fiber is the jacket and strength members;
even super-pure glass is not that expensive overall.

The expensive parts in the equation turn out to be the termination
trays and connectors.

Also the labor of pulling it, when there's already something in the
(shudder) ground.

My direct experience with running long-distance underground cable is
dated -- let's put it like this; we were dealing with RS-232 -- but the
countermeasures to a direct strike on copper cables don't seem to have
improved nearly enough...