nanog mailing list archives

Re: DARPA and the network

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:30:30 -0400

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 12:04:14PM +0100, Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
yes, it is. we can further dicuss that in private if you wish; however,
claiming OpenBSD is just more vocal about security is just far off
reality, and that had to be put in perspective.

The real question is not whether other BSDs or
other Unices are following OpenBSD's lead. I'd like
to know how many embedded systems (routers and switches)
are implementing similar "hardening" techniques.

Well, I sort of gather that the implication was "all the ones that are
embedding OpenBSD".  ;-)

The Internet runs on embedded systems and although many have their
roots in Unix, they don't seem to have adopted many of the security
techniques that are used in C2 or CAPP certified systems.

Quite so.

The details that Henning posted are useful to list members who are
writing RFPs for new network gear. Even if vendors can't meet these
requirements today, it is good to let them know that people seriously
want secure operating systems on their routers and switches.

Ah yes, the most important requirement: informed, vocal users.  The
more you spend per year, the better.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me