nanog mailing list archives

Re: Weird DNS issues for domains

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:51:44 +1000 (EST)

In article <A310E761-5459-440B-BA92-E160A45550AB () crocker com> you write:

I just tested it from a Verizon DSL host and it worked.

You might want to consider reading RFC 2182 though, particularly the
part about geographically diverse nameservers.

Yeah, yeah,  that is overrated.  If my site goes dark and my DNS goes
down it doesn't really matter as the bandwidth and the web server
will also be down.  Having a live DNS server in another part of the
country won't help if the access routers handling the traffic for the
T1 to the school is also down.

Geographically diverse name servers sounds great in theory but for
this application it won't gain any redundancy.

        People say this but then they don't see the impact of not
        having DNS servers available.

        The DNS was designed with the idea that atleast one of the
        nameservers for a zone would always be reachable.  A zone
        that is unreachable results in the caching servers using
        up resouces at 1000 times the normal rate.  Milli-seconds
        to tens of seconds.

        Mark