nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routers RAM and BGP table bloat

From: Robert E.Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:07:01 -0400

Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com> writes:

Ben Butler wrote:

if anyone had a view on what would happen if I managed to source an
SDRAM of 512MB / 1GB of the same specification as the 256MB Cisco
compatible memory that you use in an 7200 NPE225.  Cisco say the maximum
ram for that NPE is a pitiful 256MB, I am sure the memory manufacturers
will have made larger SDRAMs, while recognising it would be fully
unsupported what would happen if we tried to stick in a larger memory
module in the NPE....

I am just guessing here, but if the manufacturer says 256MB is the
maximum, I would expect that the unit is not able to address more than
256MB memory, regardless of the amount you plug in to it.

That's not entirely a reasonable conclusion - the npe225 only
"supported" 128m and a lot of us were running them with 256m.

Apart from the fact what is better than something else: I think it is
very brave to use unsupported hardware to operate a network. If
something fails, you are on your own then. No support from the vendor.

Of course, if you don't have the hardware under support contract in
the first place...

One of the things where being brave and being insane are only seperated
by a very thin line ;-)

Indeed.

                                        ---Rob