nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scalability issues in the Internet routing system

From: "Elmar K. Bins" <elmi () 4ever de>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:46:04 +0200

nanog-list () nrg4u com (Andre Oppermann) wrote:

Apart from that, IMHO cooking down the prefixes only buys time, but does
not solve the problem. More people will multihome, and with the current
mechanisms and routing cloud, they have to do it by injecting prefixes.

And this won't change in future.

I'm not sure whether this hasn't long become an architectural question
and should be moved to the (new) IETF arch list. Opinions?

Yours,
    Elmi.

PS: Btw, anyone can give me a hint on where to discuss new ideas for
   e.g. routing schemes (and finding out whether it's an old idea)?

With pretty high certainy one can say that it is an old idea with some
minor twist or wording change.

I was thinking of something different from Susan's approach, hence my
question. Cooking up stuff to save memory and processing in the router
isn't it, IMHO, but I have ideas in my head which I would like to share.
But then, I wouldn't want to spoil everybody's time if it's old.

Elmar.

--

"Begehe nur nicht den Fehler, Meinung durch Sachverstand zu substituieren."
                          (PLemken, <bu6o7e$e6v0p$2 () ID-31 news uni-berlin de>)