nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 news

From: Simon Lyall <simon () darkmere gen nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:07:55 +1300 (NZDT)

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
I agree that the end state is *NOT* 100% multihoming. It is
too complex for most people and there is no business
justification for it. But an awful lot of business customers
will be able to justify multihoming. That is part and parcel
of the "mission critical" Internet.

"
The year is 2011. Last week my DSL provider died for 6 hours and my
family was unable to get to the Internet. A friend suggests I try
Suparoute11 (tm), I download the program and install on my Xbox 5.

A few seconds later it uses my Xbox's 802.66 wireless port to contact
several other people running the program within a few blocks of my house.
Options are displayed on my screen, one guy's hub is offering a "backup
10Mb/s home link, tunneled and advertised to TIX" across a large cable
provider.

My son tells me that is what I want so I setup a payment of $5 per month
to him. In 10 minutes from start to finish my house's /54 is "multi-homed",
whatever that means.
"

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.