nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choosing new transit: software help?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:44:33 +0000

From: John Dupuy

We are looking at getting an additional transit connection.

In the past, we have used fixedorbit.com and the like and
"guesstimated" our best transit choices. (Other factors
came into play as well, of course, such as price...)

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for determine our next
best transit?  Essentially, I am looking for techniques of:

1. Gathering our current traffic patterns and subtotalling
source/destination IP by ASN.
2. Gathering our BGP views into a useful form for analysis.
3. Using #1 and #2 to analyze which new AS would make the
most sense to connect to for transit. The goal would be for
the new transit to reduce the number of AS we must transit
given our customer's actual usage.

I know most nanog responses seem to go off list immediately
but I'd be interested in this as well for traffic engineering.
A top AS and top prefix talkers would be really useful.

        perhaps you have forgotten this nifty set of pages:

        http://www.caida.org/analysis/topology/as_core_network/

--bill

David