nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC Outage Reports ..(.was Verizon outage in Southern California?)

From: Juuso Lehtinen <jalehtin () cc hut fi>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:26:51 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Andre Oppermann wrote:
Here we see again that the secrecy ("to prevent terrorism") of this
information costs more than having it in the open as the FCC did in
the past.  The whole terrorism sham was just a convenient excuse to
prevent outsiders from assessing the quality of the carriers network.

In the field of security engineering, this is something called security through obscurity. Terrorists are well funded, and they, no doubt, can get hold on those 'secret' fiber maps if they have interest in them.

Do I feel better that neither me nor the terrorist know that my "redundant"
fiber routes are in the same dig?  Or in the same cable even?  We all know
how reliable the carriers bonus driven sales droid promises are...

Only ones suffering are us...

--
juuso lehtinen