nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wifi Security

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:27:38 -0500

In message <73345C98-EB2D-4DB5-A8BD-D23D77A51E49 () ianai net>, "Patrick W. Gilmor
e" writes:

On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Ross Hosman wrote:

So my question is pretty simple. You have all these major companies
such
as google/earthlink/sprint/etc. building wifi networks. Lets say I
want
to collect peoples information so I setup an AP with the same ssid as
google's ap so people connect to it and I log all of their traffic.
Most
people won't check beyond the ssid to look at the mac address but even
that could be spoofed. Is there anyway to verify a certain ap beyond
mac/ssid, will there be in the future? How do these companies plan to
mitigate this threat or are they just going to hope consumers are
smart
enough to figure it out?

Why would you even need to set up an AP?  Why not just sit and sniff
traffic?  Gets you the _exact_ same information.

And why worry about Google, etc., when Starbucks and airports have
been doing this for _years_?

Lastly, most consumers are smart enough to know to use encryption
(the little pad-lock in their browser).  Some aren't.  Changing the
WiFi architecture is not going to save those who aren't.

By setting up a fake AP, you can launch active attacks.  Sure, people
won't get the right certificate -- and they're not going to notice,
especially if the (unencrypted) initial web splash page says something
like "For added security, all SSL connections from this hotspot will
use Starbucks-brand certificates.  Please configure your browser to
accept them -- it will protect you from fraud."