nanog mailing list archives

Re: a record?

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:23:50 -0800

Are you sure? ?? statistics shows me opposite.

"There are people actively scanning for any open ports running any
protocol, without a SPECIFIC interest in your computer."

I mean - for ANY. Pretty easy to check - set up access liost with 'log' for
2 ports - port 22 and port 63023, and show us number of hits in 1 week.

My statistics shows 0 count on big non standard ports. Reason is simple -
full range scan is very slow, and have very low ratio of success, so it is
relatively useless.

Allow me to re-state again in slightly different language so you
understand this time:

Changing your port may (will?) lower the number of automated scans
you see hitting your daemon, but it will _NOT_ eliminate them.  IOW:
Just because someone is probing for an SSH daemon on 65K ports
against your box does _NOT_ mean he has a specific interest in your box.

Probing - not; trying to guess password - 100% YES.
But probing rate is 0 , to my surprtise.

If you honestly believe that just 'cause someone tried "ssh -p 63xxx
$YOUR.BOX" it means he is specifically targeting your box, well, that
is your prerogative.  You are almost certain to be wrong at least
part of the time, though.

--
TTFN,
patrick