nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:16:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

Yep.  The evil empires have a hundred years of experience dealing with
regulation.  If the regulators define what the Internet is or isn't,
instead of the marketplace, I don't know if people would recognize it
anymore.  Common carriers can have lots of regulations, but most of the
regulations just end up shielding the carrier from liability.  They can
just say the government makes us do it, even though the tariff was
written by the company itself, and pass along the extra costs to
the consumer.  AT&T was very dull, but profitable essentially the entire
time it was heavily regulated.  What color should Princess telephones be
this year?

Don't throw me in the briar patch :-)

I won't but blaine might :) Seriously though, phew! we were agreeing all
this time! :)

The marketplace is messy.  Regulation is seductive because it appears to
be cleaner.

Cleaner... for who exactly? The miles of code required to figure out the
mess created by the regulations? the consumers? ugh :( That's the
deception we need to dispell.