nanog mailing list archives

RE: what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

From: "Shane Owens" <shaneowens () dna-communications com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:15:46 -0500

 On this I am wondering what the user market would chose with an offer from a DSL provider of a guaranteed bandwidth
purchase with a
contention based cap on max speed.  For example DSL sold with a guaranteed bandwidth availability of 256K (or 512K,
768K etc based
on 256K increments) with a "up to" maximum of 7-10Mbps.  Would the typical user understand the difference between this
the standard
Comcast marketing of "up to" speeds without any service guarantee?

Shane

It won't be long before the telco's respond by offering DSL at the same speed/price. I've heard (but don't *know*)
that SBC is
selling 6 down and 1 up in >Houston and Dallas for $35.

We're doing a fair business selling accelerated dial up for $15. Its surprising how many folks don't want broadband.
You don't need
4mb down to read
your email. And once you get outside of the city limits there's a good sized market that can't get any type of
broadband,
especially cable.

We may decline some, but I don't think that ISP's are going away anytime soon.

Bob Martin