nanog mailing list archives

RE: DOS attack tracing

From: "Chris Ranch" <CRanch () Affinity com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:52:58 -0400

On Tuesday, May 10, 2005 5:06 AM, Suresh wrote:
On 5/10/05, Hannigan, Martin <hannigan () verisign com> wrote:
DDOS' is rather infrequent to zero for most enterprises. That DDOS
golden banana is rather yummy with sprinkles on top. Don't get me
wrong, the DDOS problem is real, but not for everyone, and not as
frequently as it's being hyped up to be. A managed service
is a better
way to go if they're worried, IMO.

There's also the "minimze risk" thing .. take a conscious
business decision not to host one of the typical DDoS magnets
(dont allow people to run IRC bots on your colo farm, for example)

Dumping our IRC customers dropped our DDoS frequency by an order of
magnitude.  We've certainly slept better as a result.

Chris
Chris Ranch
Director of Network Architecture
Affinity Internet, Inc.