nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL scomp

From: Jim Segrave <jes () nl demon net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:48:11 +0100

On Tue 01 Mar 2005 (22:36 -0500), Joe Maimon wrote:

Barry Shein wrote:

On March 1, 2005 at 14:17 jes () nl demon net (Jim Segrave) wrote:
I don't understand this complaint - we process AOL TOS Notifications
daily and I find perhaps 1 in a hundred or so are not valid complaints.

Here about 99% are not valid or interesting.

Which is to say, I had one small burst once caused by an infected
customer machine which we got shut off fast and fixed.

The rest are virtually all just people on mailing lists hosted here
sending each and every completely on-topic posting to TOS.

I suppose I should figure out some way to track them so I can boot
them off those lists since AOL removes all identifying information.

Apparently the ratio of valid/invalid AOL notifications is a usefull
indicator on the cleanliness of the relevant network.

Or alternatively, some networks have few users who communicate with
AOL customers - they aren't currently big-time in the Netherlands -
and the ratio of valid to invalid complaints has sweet FA to do with
anything else. We don't set up mail forwarding for residential
customers so that's another non-issue.

--
Jim Segrave           jes () nl demon net