nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vonage SUED over not clearly informing customers re 911 service lacking

From: Adam Rothschild <asr+nanog () latency net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:38:14 -0500

On 2005-03-24-14:02:26, "Network.Security" <Network.Security () target com> wrote:
I'm not saying (nor do I hope the PSAPs are either) that Vonage
should cease and desist service because of the 911 issues, rather
greater partnership needs to be initiated to insure that VoIP
service and POTS have the same priority for 911 [...]

Actually, I believe it would be a step in the right direction.

I've had an opportunity to use a CLEC-resold version of the Intrado
service, which I believe is what Vonage uses to provide its customers
with "911" capabilities.  Intrado's job is not an easy one, and given
the technical, regulatory, and demand-related obstacles they face,
they do a decent job at what they do.  (With that said, accidents can
happen, mostly in the form of the LEC neglecting to contact Intrado
and inform them of a subscriber's address, or Intrado neglecting to
enter that information in the database, and there's no real way to
detect this shy of placing test calls to 911, but I digress...)

Rather, the problem we face is that VoIP, despite working "good
enough" 99% of the time, is susceptible to failure modes above and
beyond POTS: loss of power and/or IP connectivity, to name a couple.
The likelihood of these failure modes surfacing in the event of a
fire, flood, theft, or other event requiring a 911 dispatch, is a
non-trivial concern.

What Vonage (or any operator in their position really) should do is
tell its customers, in no uncertain terms, that their service does not
exist as a replacement for a land line, and to keep a cellular or POTS
phone available for use in case of an emergency.  And if a subscriber
chooses to dial 911 anyway, present them with either a reorder tone,
or a recording instructing them to hang up and proceed to the nearest
land/cell phone.  Of course, the likelihood of this happening out of
moral responsibility, and without any -- dare I say -- federal
mandate, is unfortunately slim, and goes against the way these
services are presently marketed to consumers...

My $0.02,
-a