nanog mailing list archives

Re: Delegating /24's from a /19

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:45:05 +1100

Um, why?

    Firstly he does NOT have authority for the /16 reverse.  Lots
    of latent problems there.

Nor is he claiming it.  Nowhere on the internet is there anything saying
that the entire /16 should be looked up against his nameserver.  No=20
reference
should exist pointing to his nameserver as authoritative for the /16.
The convenience of having a zone file that is based on a /16 that he owns
part of does not create authority out of thin air, nor does it make any
meaningful claim to authority except to a system which (mistakenly) =
attempts
to use those nameservers as resolvers.  Yes, if you are going to do this, =
it
is a prerequisite that your nameserver _NOT_ be anyone's resolver.

    Secondly sideways delegations don't work.

Huh?  I'm not sure what you mean by "sideways delegations".  It is
perfectly acceptable, for example, for:

a.root-servers.net returns 16.172.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns1.arin.net.
ns1.arin.net returns 124.16.172.in-addr.apra. IN NS ns1.foobar.com.
ns1.foobar.com. returns 124.16.172.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns1.subsidiary.com.
ns1.subsidiary.com. returns 5.124.16.172.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR=20
foo.subsidiary.com.

        Actually it isn't.  Nameservers can and do detect this as it
        looks like a classic lame delegation.  It also a sideways
        delgation, the zone depth didn't impove between ns1.foobar.com
        and ns1.subsidiary.com.

This does work.  This is what is being proposed.

    Thirdly I'm sick and tired of having to debug stupid
    schemes ISP's come up with to try to avoid SWIPing the
    nameservers in situations like this.  They don't work
    or they don't meet the customers expectations (i.e.
    they have a /24 and should just be able to use x.y.z.in-addr.arpa
    and have it work reliably).

So don't debug them.  As long as ARIN has all of the /24s within the /19
pointing as NS records to the nameserver which contains the partially
populated /16 zone file (or which secondaries each of the relevant /24 =
zones
from their true owners), things work just fine.  Nothing really to debug.

        Well when you have a bug report saying that your nameserver
        doesn't work because someone tried to do a sideways delegation
        you have to go in there and show what is broken.

        This is not expected to work.

    Delegation is the DNS is strictly hierachical.

I don't see where the above breaks this.

    You either SWIP the new servers or you slave the zones
    from the customer.  In both cases you are following the
    delegation heirarchy.  Note even if you slave the zones
    you still have to ensure the delegation is correct.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.  I will point out that
the above solution is working in a number of networks without problem.
Sure, if you screw it up, it doesn't work.  That's true of DNS generally.

Owen

P.S.  Learn to trim quotations.

--=20
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.

--==========63ACF217CA8F895998F9==========

--==========63ACF217CA8F895998F9==========--

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews () isc org