nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:18:19 -0500

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 05:13:35PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:54:23 EST, Nils Ketelsen said:
An interesting theory. What is the substantial difference? For
me the security implications of "allowing the user to bypass our
mailsystem on port 25" and ""allowing the user to bypass our mailsystem on
port 587" are not as obvious as they maybe are to you.

The big difference is that if they connect on outbound 25, they're basically
unauthenticated at the other end.  Port 587 "should be" authenticated, which
means that the machine making the connection out is presumably a legitimate
user of the destination mail server.

Okay, the main difference seems to be:

1. People here trust, that mailservers on port 587 will have
better configurations than mailservers on port 25 have today. I
do not share this positive attitude.

2. Port 587 Mailservers only make sense, when other Providers block
port 25. My point is: If my ISP blocks any outgoing port, he is no longer
an ISP I will buy service from. Therefore I do not need a 587-Mailserver,
as I do not use any ISP with Port 25-Blocking for connecting my sites or
users.

If you're managing a corporate network, then yes, the distinction isn't
that obvious, as you're restricting your own users.  If you're running an
ISP, you're being paid to *connect* people to other places, and making it
more difficult than necessary is.. well... a Randy Bush quote. ;)

I agree. Just as I said: If the ISP blocks (and I do not care which port
he blocks), then it's time to go and look for another ISP. If I buy
Internet I do not want a provider that decides for me which parts of it I
am allowed to use today and which I am not.

"Wehret den Anfaengen" is the german saying, I currently cannot find a
good translation for.

Nils