nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATM

From: Jason Frisvold <xenophage0 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:19:23 -0400

On 6/29/05, Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi> wrote:
Maybe the small fact that ATM is fading away and building new networks
with technology going away is going to explode your operational cost in
a few years time. Business grade IP networks will provide you with equal
if not better performance than a "dedicated" ATM WAN.

And being replaced with ....  ?  GigE?  DPT/RPR?  MPLS?

ATM is a great technology...  Unfortunately, I don't think it was ever
fully utilized..  From what I understand, MPLS takes some of the good
bits and combines it with traditional routing..  But I don't see a lot
of MPLS implementations either...

Pete

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold