nanog mailing list archives

Re: Economics of SPAM [Was: Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?]

From: Todd Vierling <tv () duh org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:58:06 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:

Here's a simple mechanism which has not yet been tried seriously. Email
server peering.

All this stuff you're describing [almost] exactly matches the former
UUCP-based e-mail distribution mechanism.

A lot of this dubious technical garbage can be swept aside
if we simply recognize that the flat structure of a completely
open SMTP service is not scalable.

But we already found that the UUCP system didn't scale because its
management load was way too high.  That's why RFC821 exists!

We aren't rolling back the clock now -- the e-mail infrastructure is far too
large to do that.

(Oh sh*t, did I just feed a troll?)