nanog mailing list archives

Re: Battery Maint in LEC equipment

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:09:40 -0500

Once upon a time, David Lesher <wb8foz () nrk com> said:
Have any NANOG'ers [NANOGites? NANOGees?] run into this? Again, this
is LEC owned, LEC maintained, equipment....Do you provide generator
power for such in your space?

We do provide generator power in our space to the telcos.  BellSouth has
a big (pre-existing) battery bank, but KMC didn't install batteries
(there wasn't much point; if our UPS and generator fail, there's nothing
for them to provide service to).

In this area, I believe that BellSouth uses natural gas powered
generators, as many of the remote cabinets (installed in the last 5-7
years or so anyway) have a gas meter next to them and a line running
into a second cabinet (generator/power supply I suppose).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>