nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco cover up

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:08:21 +0900

I suspect there was something slightly more than just giving information
about the vulnerabilities.. the inference is that they demonstrated
executing arbitrary code from buffer overflows.. perhaps for example they
developed ways of opening up privilege vty which I dont think has been
shown before

we can suspect a lot of things.  but, as long as information is
suppressed, all we can do is suspect and be victims of those who
have the time to develop exploits.  this is why open disclosure
is soooo important.  security through obscurity is a well-known
failure mode.

randy