nanog mailing list archives

RE: Cisco IOS Exploit Cover Up

From: "Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:50:26 GMT

...and Wired News is running this story:

"Cisco Security Hole a Whopper"

Excerpt:

[snip]

A bug discovered in an operating system that runs the majority of the world's computer networks would, if exploited,
allow an attacker to bring down the nation's critical infrastructure, a computer security researcher said Wednesday
against threat of a lawsuit.

Michael Lynn, a former research analyst with Internet Security Solutions, quit his job at ISS Tuesday morning before
disclosing the flaw at Black Hat Briefings, a conference for computer security professionals held annually here.

[snip]

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68328,00.html

- ferg

-- "Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

For what ot's worth, this story is running in the
popular trade press:

"Cisco nixes conference session on hacking IOS router code"
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/072705-cisco-ios.html

- ferg

-- "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com> wrote:

For those who like to keep abreast of security issues, there are
interesting developments happening at BlackHat with regards to Cisco
IOS and its vulnerability to arbitrary code executions.

I apologize for the article itself being brief and lean on technical
details, but allow me to say that it does represent a real problem
(as in practical and confirmed):

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/07/mending_a_
hole_.html

Yes, practical _and_ confirmed, but you'll never get $vendor to
admit it, which is the problem to begin with.

-M<

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net