nanog mailing list archives

Re: Overhaul of U.S. telecom law to be introduced

From: Todd Vierling <tv () duh org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:25:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

"The bill will improve consumers' access to communication technology by rewriting
outdated telecommunications laws," Ensign's office said in a statement. "One of the
bill's goals is to reduce government obstacles to technological innovation and expansion."

The proposed legislation would replace the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

OK, which of the large telco / broadband outfits are lobbying for this one?

Based on who's introducing it, and past history -- CAN-SPAM, for one -- I'd
put a suspicious bet on the large fiber-monopoly telcos pushing this to
eradicate unbundled service requirements, so that they can push out
resellers and remarketers through a "competitive" market.  (We'll see for
sure when the text is released, of course.  ;)

Another page from the man himself about it:

http://ensign.senate.gov/issleg/issues/record.cfm?id=240526