nanog mailing list archives

Re: 6to4 routes disappeared from most of North America?

From: Todd Vierling <tv () duh org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:27:36 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Joe Abley wrote:

Right now we're using a 6to4 relay router in Verio's network for most traffic,
although we do see other paths, so mileage may vary depending on which edge
router the outbound traffic from ISC happens to exit through.

Hm.  I traced now and I see a route similar to yours, from what appears to
be the opposite interface sides of those boxes.  In any case, your routing
*is* working.  However, that doesn't seem to be the case for many North
American providers.

Worse yet, I don't think anyone is volunteering a route into the global
BGP4+ table -- so all these little networks are simply on their own if their
v6 upstreams don't hand them a direct 2002::/16 route.

(ObNANOG:  "Hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint.")

And wouldn't you know, now I can't see part of the RIPE world -- including
www.ripe.net itself -- from a 6to4 host, but a fixed tunnel host sees it
fine.  This doesn't look good.  <sigh>