nanog mailing list archives

Re: The whole alternate-root ${STATE}horse

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:34:25 -0400

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:46:11AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
1. Security ("man-in-the-middle").

VPNs, SSH tunnels, etc. There are ways to solve
this problem.

You would use a VPN or SSH tunnel to do what?  That's orthogonal to DNS
security issues, and illustrates that you haven't read DNSSEC and/or 2826.

2. Common interoperability.

We do not currently have common interoperability for a
whole range of protocols.

So what?  DNS is one of the protocols where interoperability is not just
desirable, it's MANDATORY.

Businesses and individuals expect that when they publish an e-mail or Web
site hostname, that it be theirs and only theirs no matter where on the
Internet it is accessed.  FQDNs are considered fixed points of entry, and
alternate roots put that name resolution at risk.  (But if you had actually
read RFC2826, you would already understand this.)

I'm going to dive in one more time here.

It's not the *root* operators that are the problem -- it's the *TLD*
zone operators.

Introducing fragmented TLDs or the opportunity to supplant the common TLDs
places the DNS infrastructure at risk.  This is not just FUD -- DNS
hijacking in alternate roots has already happened.  (But if you had actually
read RFC2826, you would already understand this.)

"infrastructure at risk".  Justify this *far-reaching* statement,
please.  Show your work.

and I appreciate the IAB's comments, but it was written at a time when we
didn't have as much experience with rootless networks as we do now.

The DNS is not a rootless network, so this is a pointless comment.

That response appears to assume facts not in evidence in his comment.

On the flip side, there was quite a bit of experience with alternate DNS
roots at the time RFC2826 was created -- AlterNIC, which was run and
advocated by people just as blinded by ignorance as you.

Oh wait, your name wouldn't *actually* be Jim Fleming, would it?

<chuckle>

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me