nanog mailing list archives

Re: Please Check Filters - BOGON Filtering IP Space 72.14.128.0/19

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:33:59 -0800 (PST)

--- "Chris A. Epler" <cepler () HostMySite com> wrote:

Jared Mauch wrote:

|     I'm not saying this to trash cisco, many people
there know that,
| but the important thing is insuring that the
global internet isn't
| further harmed, and as more allocations are done
the harm becomes
| greater and it hurts every single person in this
industry, providers
| and vendors alike.

k, bit my tongue as much as I could...  But I gotta
vent ;-P

So, Cisco provides this 'AutoSecure' function and
everyone jumps all
over the static bogon list.  Why?  Hello?  The basic
idea here is that
it gets you decent out of the box setup defaults
which you tailor after
running it, right?  (NOTE: I haven't actually hit
the AUTOSECURE button
yet, just read a little about it)

Well, the problem is that the autosecure feature
introduces a static element (address filtering) into a
dynamic world (routing), in a way which is generally
considered "set and forget."

The target audience for autosecure is people who don't
have their own security people on staff, thus ensuring
that the filters will get out of date, and cause
mysterious reachability issues (mysterious, that is,
because no one will think of looking for the problem
in the router...)

Whats so bad about decent secure defaults?  I just
see it as a shortcut
to getting a router online, not a solution to
security.

Getting a router online is giving it an IP address.
Translate from geek to English: when someone who is
not-so-technical hears "autosecure" the end result is
something like "automatic transmission" - i.e.
something which doesn't need to be played with except
once every few years.

If you're
implementing a new router and setting up Bogon
filters

The argument is that autosecure SHOULDN'T set up bogon
filters.

you should
already know that they'll need to be updated
regularly and should
replace the access list with a refreshed one using
the autosecure
configuration as a TEMPLATE that you work off of.
If you don't know
this, then you shouldn't be in charge of said
router.  Am I missing
something here???

The primary audience for the autosecure feature is
people who really don't quite get routers.  No, they
don't have any business with enable, but do they have
it?  yes.

=====
David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: