nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG via RSS

From: chip <chip.gwyn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:36:52 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:55:19 +0100, Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org> wrote:
On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:11 -0500, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:

"Mike Callahan" <mcallahan () bullseyetelecom net> writes:

By any chance is this list available via xml/rss?

There are several email to rss gateway software packages out there; it
would be trivial to roll your own.

YMMV, but after reading a couple of other mailing lists that were
gatewayed to rss, my sense is that RSS is not the right technology for
reading NANOG unless one were to create a "first article only" feed.

I am actually wonder if RSS has an advantage at all compared to a
mailinglist, especially as RSS is a pull mechanism, if there is nothing
or not a lot happening it will be polling the server a lot of times
needlessy, thus causing server resources. While of course a mailinglist
has the overhead of the email headers. But I am quite convinced of the
idea that a push * 25.000 subscribers is lighter load on the server than
having a continues pull by those 25.000 subscribers...

Next to that, my mailbox simply shows the articles I have not read and I
throw out what I did read and can easily reply to what I like to reply
to. Personally thus RSS has not much value, just like NNTP actually,
even though NNTP comes quite close to email.

Greets,
 Jeroen

Try pointing your subscription to Gmail.   Plenty of space to hold a
nice archive.  Quickly Searchable, accessible from anywhere, automatic
threading.  Make a label and matching filter for each
mailing-list...make's thing nice and sorted automatically.  Your Gmail
acc't can be accessed via rss too, so there's that.

--chip
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....