nanog mailing list archives

Re: Port 25 filters - how many here deploy them bidirectionally?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:25:43 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

.. and if it has been tried, have you noticed any issues with this?

Please consider the situation of net abuse with the source address
being an infected PCs on a dialup pool that has port 25 filtering
enabled.

...description of 'fantasy mail' removed...

So, a quick poll .. how many ISPs here have noticed this behavior, and
applied bidirectional filters?  And if they've applied port 25 filters
bidirectionally, have they noticed any problems with this setup?

I believe reseller contracts have included this for over 2 years now, John
StClair's efforts to get these in place are the primary reason they exist
for our customers.

This ISP's post is only the second I've seen noting such behavior in a
few months, the first being a nanog post in Aug 2004 by Hank
Nussbacher - http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/current/msg03171.html

We'd first seen this behaviour over 2 years ago... quite a bit actually
over that time as the filters had been put into place.

-Chris