nanog mailing list archives

Re: Measure overall network availability

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:44:07 +0530

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 06:41:46 -0500, Jim Popovitch <jimpop () yahoo com> wrote:

I've often wondered, as I work intimately with NMS software, just how
much cross network traffic is "are you there?" related.  Would it have a
positive impact on overall net performance if everyone just turned off
all internetwork status polling?

not too much, when done right .. and when compared to all the noise
out there - martian packets, p2p downloads, worm generated traffic ...

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)