nanog mailing list archives

RE: Rapidly-variable routing on the time scale of seconds to minutes?

From: "Charles Shen" <charles () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:17:20 -0500

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:59:39PM -0500, Charles Shen wrote:
[ snip ]

From the responses, the answer to "the rapidly-variable routing on
the time
scale of seconds to minutes" seems to be:

1. It could be link layer load balancing, with the two interfaces
belonging to the same router. 2. It could be per-flow load
balancing
where flows are defined via both L3 and L4 info, so
traceroute probe
could not reflect the truth.

My question is then: would it be safe to argue that the above two
causes explain all (or most of?) the observed "fluttering" routers?
(some examples listed below)  What we are concerned about is
per-packet load balancing (packets in the same flow go through
different paths), which will cause trouble to protocols
that install
state information in routers along the flow path.

AFAIK, multiple routers showing up in a single-hop in
traceroute response is a sign of packet-by-packet load
balancing, not flow based.

I could be wrong, though this was my past observation.

P.S.: What router-interacting applications are you using?

I am talking about e.g. QoS reservation signaling applications.