nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:03:14 -0500

On 2/25/2005 10:51 AM, Nils Ketelsen wrote:

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:36:40PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
I force anyone, who wants to relay to use SMTP-AUTH on port 25. Only mails
for local delivery are accepted without AUTH. Whats point
in opening another port?

There are lots of secondary benefits. One of my favorites is that I can
reject mail session on port 25 from hosts that claim to be in my domain
(all such mail is authenticated on port 587 or is coming from a
pre-configured list of servers that already hit an exception, so any other
connections on port 25 that HELO as ehsco.com are lying). There are lots
of these kinds of non-trivial benefits.