nanog mailing list archives

RE: E1 - RJ45 pinout with ethernet crossover cable

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:49:54 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Bligh [mailto:alex () alex org uk]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 10:32 AM
To: Hannigan, Martin; Sam Stickland; nanog () nanog org
Cc: Alex Bligh
Subject: RE: E1 - RJ45 pinout with ethernet crossover cable

--On 25 February 2005 09:43 -0500 "Hannigan, Martin"
<hannigan () verisign com> wrote:

Not that I know of, but I've never attempted what you
describe. Putting the baluns in the loop will destroy the
framing i.e. it's going to try and convert b8zs/ami to 802.x.

How does a balun destroy the framing (or rather line coding)?
It's just a
pair of transformers, and hence AC characteristics pass
through intact.
All you've done is converted impedance (and, IIRC, line voltage).

My mistake, I misunderstood their function.

-M<