nanog mailing list archives

Re: Deploying IPv6 in a datacenter (Was: Awful quiet?)

From: Michael.Dillon () btradianz com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:33:24 +0000

8) Once we got everything on the network and server side ready for
and usable on IPv6 we discovered that a lot of our client's
applications just had no idea what to do with IPv6 connections. Many
PHP applications broke because they expected $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']
to fit within 15 characters at most. Databases had to have their
columns widened (if they were storing the address as text), or
functionality had to be rewritten if they were storing IPs as 32 bit
integers. Web server log analyzers claimed that the log was
"corrupted" if it had an IPv6 address in it. Lots and lots of
application logic just wasn't IPv6 aware at all, and either had
serious cosmetic problems with displaying IPv6 addresses, or simply
didn't work when an IPv6 address was encountered.

Just imagine what it will be like if the idea of
sticking a decimal point into 32 bit AS numbers
ends up getting deployed.

--Michael Dillon