nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Qos PipeDream [Was: RE: Two Tiered Internet]

From: tony sarendal <dualcyclone () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:53:15 +0000

On 18/12/05, Chris Woodfield <rekoil () semihuman com> wrote:

One thing to note here is that while VoIP flows are low volume on a
bits-per-second basis, they push substantially more packets per
kilobit than other traffic types - as much as 50pps per 82Kbps flow.
And I have seen cases of older line cards approaching their pps
limits when handling large numbers of VoIP flows even though there's
plenty of throughput headroom. That's not something LLQ or priority
queueing are going to be able to help you mitigate at all.

Only older line cards ?
Currently NPE-G1's are causing me more headaches in that regard.
At least up until last friday.

/Tony